Traveling for TreatmentLiam Roybal
Looking Outside Local Facilities for Improved Rehab Services
You’ve made the decision to seek treatment for substance abuse disorder. Now, the most important part is choosing a suitable rehab facility. It’s critical that you carefully weigh your options, ensuring not to rush into this decision before doing your homework.
When you’re deciding on a suitable option, you might want to leave your options open as far as distance and travel. Finding a facility that accommodates your needs is essential, and sometimes this means traveling for treatment can be the best route.
However, the distance you may have to travel should be viewed as a sacrifice or investment, as finding the right fit for you will pay dividends. One of the most important questions regarding treatment is whether people travel when they find the right rehab.
If you’re looking for treatment options, or you’ve found one that’s a substantial distance from where you’re located, this article may provide helpful insight. At this point, you’re probably wondering if people regularly travel for addiction treatment.
Do People Travel for Addiction Treatment?
Every treatment center is unique in the services it provides and the atmosphere and environment within the facility. You have the freedom to choose a treatment center in your home state or find options out of state that may not be as close.
There are plenty of times when people travel to obtain services for substance abuse disorder. In certain situations, traveling could be your best option since not every rehab is suitable for everyone.
When browsing options for a rehab facility, it’s important to understand what criteria specifically fit your needs. There are several important characteristics to consider to help you find the best course of action for treatment.
Traveling for Treatment: Choosing a Rehab Facility
Choosing a rehab facility specializing in the right treatment and counseling options is important for successful recovery. The following tips can be helpful when weighing various rehab facility options.
Decide What Your Goals and Needs Are
Every rehab has different areas of expertise they specialize in. Depending on the specifics of treatment, success is measured differently and the path it takes to achieve success. You must choose a facility that will help you achieve your goals. However, before this can be done, you need to understand your goals.
Use the following list to outline your goals and gauge exactly what you need to obtain those goals.
- Decide what substances you need help recovering from. If you have issues with multiple substances, it’s important to understand this and use it as a factor in choosing a rehab facility.
- If there are underlying conditions or dual diagnoses you want treatment for as well, this should be factored into the decision-making process.
- Come up with a clear picture of what success looks like for you. Is your primary goal medically-assisted detox and sobriety for 30 days? Would 90 days be considered successful to you?
It’s important to outline these factors together with your support system. This will make finding the most appropriate rehab facility for you much easier.
After you decide on the specifics of what you’re looking for in a treatment facility, you can begin researching locations. Once you understand the characteristics of the best rehab for you, you can decide whether you want to travel or stay local.
You must weigh the pros and cons of traveling for rehab. The following section outlines the benefits of traveling for rehab.
What are the Benefits of Traveling for Rehab?
Often, traveling for rehab provides more opportunities for finding effective treatment options. Individuals that leave their options open have access to thousands of options across the United States.
Besides having more options, the benefits of traveling for rehab include the following:
- Traveling places you in a mind frame that’s conducive to successful recovery. When you commit to a facility that’s hundreds or even thousands of miles from home, you’re more likely to stick to your treatment plan.
- You may be less likely to relapse because of the change in environment. Fewer triggers could lead to leaving the facility and engaging in damaging behavior.
- You will have the opportunity of experiencing different elements of treatment in new locations. There will be new opportunities for social involvement and discovering different walks of life.
- When you’re far away from home, you’re less likely to walk out of treatment to seek out your substance of choice. Being committed to remaining in treatment could be easier for individuals that travel for rehab.
- There could be risks and temptations close to home. Sometimes, being close to people that still partake in using can be detrimental to your recovery.
- Many people fear coworkers, managers, and peers discovering they went to rehab. Unfortunately, the risk of being judged exists, and many individuals may find comfort and safety in traveling out of state for treatment.
It’s also important to weigh the disadvantages of traveling for rehab. It’s not always easy to pick up and travel to a strange place, especially if it’s thousands of miles away. You need to be realistic when approaching your decision for the best rehab facility.
Disadvantages of Traveling for Rehab
With any benefits, there exists the potential for disadvantages as well. The following are some of the most significant disadvantages of traveling for rehab:
- It may be difficult for loved ones to visit or maintain a vital role in treatment. For example, many facilities allow loved ones to participate in family counseling sessions. If the rehab you select is a substantial distance, it’s unrealistic to expect loved ones to participate in live sessions regularly.
- Setting up aftercare services and linking with your primary care providers could be more difficult if you’re in an unfamiliar city.
- Finding a local support system could be challenging if you don’t have immediate family or loved ones available to fill these roles.
- Transportation to out-of-state treatment may present a unique set of challenges for individuals looking for rehab. These individuals must secure airline tickets and a shuttle or taxi to and from the facility.
After weighing the advantages and disadvantages, it becomes much easier to work your way toward a concrete decision. Regardless of your decision, it’s important that you discover strong recovery communities for post-treatment.
Finding Strong Recovery Communities
One of the most important elements of rehab is finding strong recovery communities for post-treatment and aftercare. What is a strong recovery community?
A strong recovery community is an environment and support system that promotes long-term recovery after treatment is complete. These environments can exist in different forms and include a variety of different people.
Strong recovery communities may include any of the following:
- A strong family support system
- Groups of sober friends
- Sober living homes
- A sober work environment
- Access to group meetings or 12-step recovery programs
Any element that promotes overall wellness and continuing sobriety is a strong contributor to an efficient recovery community. Many people assume that this is only possible when attending a local rehab facility.
When a client attends a treatment facility out-of-town, they won’t have permanent residency once treatment is complete. Setting up aftercare and a strong recovery community from a great distance is possible with the right planning.
Achieving Long Term Sobriety With Travel
Achieving long-term sobriety with travel is possible, but individuals must plan ahead to be successful. First, let’s examine what leads to long-term sobriety.
- Strong recovery communities
- Aftercare programs
- Continued treatment through primary care physicians and mental health professionals
- Group meetings
- Opportunities to lead a productive, normal life (work, hobbies, etc.)
When you’re traveling for rehab, it can be difficult to ensure all of these elements are in place once treatment is complete. However, chances of success are much higher with the right aftercare planning. Integrating travel into aftercare planning is vital to achieving long-term sobriety and can be done by implementing the following strategies:
- Begin crafting and putting together the elements of a strong recovery community before you leave for treatment. Discussing the importance of a strong support system with all parties involved before leaving for treatment ensures everyone is prepared once you arrive back home.
- Any aftercare programs should be researched prior to leaving for treatment as well. Obtaining relevant information regarding insurance and other elements is easily achievable pre-treatment.
- These elements will already be in place if you already have primary care physicians and mental health care. However, this can partially be done with research before treatment and completed through referrals via counselors and psychiatrists at the specific facility you attend.
- Additionally, group meetings and information regarding them should be available through counselors at treatment, regardless of the location. This information is widely available through online platforms.
One of the most important elements of success when it comes to treatment and aftercare planning is forming an individualized treatment plan. An individualized treatment plan will include all of the elements mentioned above and the steps to complete treatment.
Individualized Treatment Plan
An individualized treatment plan will incorporate the following elements:
Treatment for Appropriate Substance Abuse Disorders
Specifics of treatment are crafted depending on the specific substances individuals seek. Deciding what substances an individual wants treatment for will allow the creation of the framework of an individualized treatment plan.
Specifics of Treatment
Will medically assisted detox be included in treatment? Are underlying conditions or dual diagnoses included in the treatment plan? How will psychiatrists and psychologists work together to implement the proper methods of treatment? Are holistic options needed? Answering all of these questions will outline the specifics of treatment for a client.
Crafting a strong aftercare plan will give individuals the highest chances of long-term recovery. Deciding whether you will travel or stay local for treatment will play a large role in approaching aftercare and long-term recovery.
Icarus Behavioral Health is located in New Mexico and provides multiple options for treatment and recovery. If you’re interested in exploring a more holistic-based approach to treatment, we encourage you to consider Icarus Behavioral Health.
Traveling to New Mexico for rehab provides individuals with a large number of options and resources for recovery and treatment. The following section will outline relevant information and resources for New Mexico substance abuse disorder treatment.
Traveling to New Mexico for Rehab
New Mexico is an area known for providing many alternative and holistic approaches to treatment and healthcare overall. Individuals considering traveling to New Mexico for rehab will have the opportunity to explore alternative healing options and participate in many natural remedies for treatment.
Icarus Behavioral Health provides many physical activities as a part of treatment. Participating in physical activity can provide significant benefits for the mind and body during recovery. Yoga is one of the primary options for clients during their stay at our facilities.
Common Areas Served In New Mexico
Are you local to New Mexico and looking for treatment options? We commonly provide treatment to individuals in the following areas:
If you’re located in any of the areas listed above or anywhere within New Mexico, we encourage you to contact Icarus Behavioral Health for more information. We’ve assisted countless New Mexico locals in overcoming challenges associated with substance abuse disorder.
If you’re traveling within New Mexico for rehab, we can provide assistance in the following areas:
New Mexico Treatment Resources
- Referrals and resources regarding mental health and continued care after recovery. We work closely with many local physicians, psychiatrists, and psychologists in an effort to provide our clients with quality options for long-term recovery.
- Resources for group meetings and 12-step recovery programs for post-treatment – numerous options exist in multiple locations for these meetings.
- Assistance with constructing a strong support system for long-term recovery
- Provide clients with information for post-treatment services, including work, healthcare, and housing resources.
If you’re in New Mexico or any area of the southwest, Icarus Behavioral Health can provide you with the assistance you need to conquer your substance abuse disorder. Individuals who aren’t local to the southwest have a whole new world conducive to recovery waiting for them.
The Beautiful Southwest and Traveling for Treatment Services
Icarus Behavioral Health is one of the premier substance abuse disorder treatment providers in the southwest region of the United States. This region of the country provides a unique backdrop for rehab, with some of the most beautiful natural scenery you could imagine.
The majestic mountains, rugged landscape, and beautiful sunsets provide a calming atmosphere that connects our clients with healing elements of nature. The state’s nickname, the ‘Land of Enchantment,’ suits the mystique and grandeur of its environment. This atmosphere and access to a beautiful natural landscape combined with holistic treatment options create an environment that promotes successful rehab and long-term recovery like few other facilities can.
Reach out to our compassionate Admissions team now, and let us guide your journey into recovery by crafting the very first part of your personalized treatment plan today!