Find Your Recovery at Icarus in New Mexico
Treatment for mental health issues and drug addiction often involves various therapies in different settings. However, treatment at a drug and alcohol rehab facility is the best option to ensure a successful recovery.
Our Albuquerque recovery center is among the best mental health and addiction treatment destinations in New Mexico. With a team of compassionate treatment experts, we offer practical solutions for people seeking recovery from SUDs and mental health disorders.
Keep reading to find out more about Icarus Behavioral Health and the many ways we make recovery possible for you!
What’s the Difference Between Drug Addiction and Drug Abuse
Substance use disorders (SUDs) or addictions are forms of mental illness that cause significant changes to the brain’s functioning and structure. Addiction to drugs and alcohol can affect your ability to function and work or school, cope with stressful circumstances, and maintain stable relationships. It is often caused by a blend of biological, environmental, and biological factors.
The relationship between mental health illness and addiction is complex and can make recovery challenging. If you are suffering from both conditions, you are experiencing a co-occurring disorder or dual diagnosis.
The Stigma Around Word Choices and Substance Misuse
Many persons seeking to recover from addiction find it tough to articulate their relationship with the substance they use. Most people perceive substance abuse to be less dangerous than drug addiction.
Drug abuse is the regular use of a substance despite its detrimental effects. On the other hand, drug addiction is a chronic condition that involves compulsive drug seeking and use, irrespective of the negative consequences.
It is important to note that a person can become physically dependent on a drug without getting addicted to it.
Substance abuse and addiction often negatively impact personal relationships, professional or academic performance, and the ability to be an active member of society.
Understanding Dual Diagnosis and Substance Abuse
When a person is diagnosed with both a substance use disorder and a mental health disorder, they are said to have a dual diagnosis. One condition could accentuate or hide the symptoms of another, making it hard to distinguish which developed first and complicating the diagnosing process.
More than half of persons with a severe mental health diagnosis also have a substance misuse problem, and the relationship between the conditions can worsen the health problems. However, just because one problem appeared first does not mean it caused the other.
Risk factors for addiction and mental illness include parental influence, psychological stress, and early childhood experiences. Mental health issues often worsen addiction and substance usage.
A person with a mental disorder may turn to drugs or alcohol as a coping mechanism. Increased vulnerability to addiction may also result from neurobiological changes brought on by mental illness.
Substance addiction and dependence can also exacerbate preexisting mental health issues. Drugs can change the brain’s neural circuits, making users vulnerable to mental health disorders.
Common Co-Occurring Mental Health Issues
Anxiety and mood disorders are the most common co-occurring mental health conditions experienced by people with SUDs. People struggling with addiction also may experience:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Bipolar disorder
- Anxiety disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Personality disorders
Substance use disorder and mental health conditions usually have similar signs. Getting screened at our recovery center in Albuquerque, NM, can help you get the correct diagnosis and personalized treatment.
What is a Rehab or Recovery Center?
A drug rehabilitation or recovery center is a facility where people can get help for addiction and substance misuse problems. These facilities also help people recover from mental health illnesses and focus on the client’s overall well-being.
Assessment, therapy, counseling, and education are the cornerstones of a successful rehabilitation program. Although they are chronic conditions, drug addiction and dual diagnosis are treatable through rehabilitation programs. Rehab programs lessen the severity of withdrawal and the likelihood of relapse through medical detox.
Recovery facilities in New Mexico offer varying amenities and services. At Icarus, we provide different levels of care to match your unique requirements. They include:
Inpatient Rehab Programs
Inpatient drug rehab entails living in the treatment center while undergoing medical detoxification, nutritional planning, and therapy. Inpatient program participants often transition to less restrictive environments such as outpatient clinics or sober living communities.
Outpatient Programs and Services
Our clients in outpatient programs at Icarus can maintain their everyday routines at home while attending treatment sessions multiple times weekly. Outpatient programs devote a significant portion of time to psychotherapy and medical detox.
Intensive Outpatient Rehab (IOP)
Intensive outpatient services such as our IOP in Albuquerque offer the flexibility of living at home. However, clients in these programs must put in more than twice as many therapy hours per week as those in standard outpatient programs.
Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP)
The partial hospitalization program is the gold standard of outpatient care, with patients spending most of each day in the facility.
Call our addiction and behavioral health specialist at (505) 305-0902 to determine which level of care suits you best.
What Services are Offered at Our Albuquerque Recovery Center?
At Icarus, our New Mexico recovery center offers the following services:
- Medically assisted detoxification
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Behavioral therapy
- Aftercare planning
Rehabilitation at a recovery center is the best method to battle addiction and recover from mental health conditions.
How Long Does Rehabilitation Take?
For optimal results, treatment for substance abuse should last at least 90 days, as recommended by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). This period does not necessarily have to be spent wholly at a residential treatment center.
Clients will often spend the first month or two in an inpatient facility before transitioning to an outpatient program for the remainder of their required treatment period.
What to Expect from the Treatment Team at Icarus
A significant barrier for people considering drug and mental health rehabilitation is the fear of what to expect in a recovery center. Patients aware of what to expect during therapy have a better chance of coping with the challenging process.
The following are the typical stages of drug rehabilitation programs:
- Evaluation and assessment: The first few days of treatment are spent assessing the patient’s condition and orienting them to the program. This gives everyone involved time to get to know one another and allows individualized treatment. The patient’s medical, psychological, and addiction histories are evaluated by doctors and therapists to help come up with an effective treatment strategy.
- Medical detox: Physically dependent patients exhibiting withdrawal symptoms should be evaluated for detox as soon as possible after their diagnosis. They may be prescribed medication and start psychotherapy at this stage.
- Therapy and counseling: Patients receive care through counseling or therapy sessions that incorporate experiential, interpersonal, and social components in individual or group settings. During this stage, patients address the underlying trauma and mental health issues that may have prompted them to abuse drugs.
- Aftercare services: Aftercare entails maintaining contact with patients after returning home from treatment. It enables them to develop healthy coping mechanisms and stay on the path to addiction recovery.
Dialectical behavioral therapy and life skills instruction are additional components of effective drug rehabilitation programs. At Icarus, we leverage access to the vast natural resources in New Mexico to incorporate activities like hiking and zip-lining.
Client Involvement for Lasting Recovery
Knowing what to expect from drug treatment and being determined to make the most of available resources are two of the most important contributions you can make while enrolling in a rehabilitation program, whether at our Albuquerque recovery center.
Keep the following in mind to reap the full rewards of rehabilitation:
- Be receptive to new ideas: Patients who enter the rehabilitation process with a positive and open mindset have a better chance of achieving their goals.
- Respect the rules: Even the most seemingly insignificant rules have something to teach us. Always do what is right and don’t break any regulations.
- Keep yourself motivated: Residential treatment centers have a low relapse rate, but it does happen. Maintain resolve and concentration to stay sober.
- Maintain confidentiality: Patients often share personal thoughts and emotions in group therapy, making confidentiality a top priority. Confidentiality and individual privacy must always be protected.
- Hold on to a glimmer of optimism: Efforts to recover must be maintained throughout time. Keep going no matter how hard some days are right now.
How to Find the Best Recovery Center in Albuquerque
Substance use disorder and dual diagnosis are severe illnesses that destroy lives and rip families apart. Multiple rehab centers help people with such conditions get their lives back on track, but few offer the full array of programs and attention to client success like Icarus. At our facilities, clients choose from various treatment options for addiction and mental health illnesses, all based on their unique history and designed to treat the root causes of addictive behavior.
Finding the right treatment plan and recovery center is key to a happy and sober future. This will increase your chance of overcoming your addiction and maintaining long-term sobriety. Our compassionate team at Icarus Behavioral Health can help you determine the best treatment approach for your unique condition.
Below are some key factors to consider when choosing a recovery or drug and alcohol addiction treatment center:
- What services are provided?
- Are the facility and staff licensed, certified, and accredited?
- What kinds of therapies and treatments are available?
- How is the surrounding area, and are there convenient amenities?
- Where is the recovery center located?
- How long will the treatment program last?
- What is your budget?
At Icarus, we can provide prompt and full answers to these questions and transparent replies to every concern of our clients and their loved ones. We are here, for you.
You may begin the admissions process at Icarus with a quick and confidential call. Our team will help you familiarize yourself with all relevant policies and procedures to facilitate a smooth enrollment process.
Begin the Journey Toward Recovery Today
Don’t give up hope if you’re struggling with addiction and mental illness. Our Albuquerque, NM, recovery center offers a tranquil setting away from the hustle and bustle of daily life to facilitate a smooth recovery process.
Get in touch with us if you’re ready to take back control of your life!